Tab Application Banner
  • Users Online: 296
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2012  |  Volume : 7  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 130-134

Study of PTPN22 1858C/T polymorphism in rheumatoid arthritis patients from Western India


1 Department of Clinical & Experimental Immunology, Mumbai, India
2 Scientist National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, India
3 Department of Clinical & Experimental Immunology, fDirector, National Institute of Immunohae- matology, Indian Council of Medical Research, 13th ?oor, Mumbai, India
4 National Institute of Immunohae- matology, Indian Council of Medical Research, 13th ?oor, Mumbai, India

Correspondence Address:
Vandana D Pradhan
Department of Clinical & Experimental Immunology, Mumbai
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.1016/j.injr.2012.06.003

Rights and Permissions

Background: Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an inflammatory autoimmune disorder with etiologies including genetic and environmental factors. Protein tyrosine phosphatase non-receptor type22 (PTPN22) 1858C/T polymorphism is widely suspected to be a susceptibility gene for RA in the non-HLA genes group. Aim: This study aimed at determining whether PTPN22 1858C/T polymorphism is associated with RA patients from Western India and to evaluate its possible association with rheumatoid factor (RF) and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) autoantibodies. Methods: A total of 130 Indian RA patients and 100 age and sex matched normal controls were genotyped by polymerase chain reaction restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCReRFLP) for the PTPN22 1858C/T polymorphism. Results: RF positivity was seen among 73.8% RA patients studied and the overall incidence of anti-CCP antibodies was 86.2%. The homozygous genotype (T/T) was absent in both groups. Among RF positives, C/C homozygosity was 90.6% whereas 9.4% patients were C/T heterozygous. Among anti-CCP positives, 89.1% had C/C genotype while the remaining 10.9% have the C/T genotype. Statistically significant association was obtained between the polymorphism and anti-CCP positivity in RA patients (OR: 2.939, 'p' value Ό 0.0595). Conclusion: Our study suggested that a positive autoantibody status may predispose an individual to RA. PTPN22 may act as a susceptibility gene only in certain ethnic groups and there is no direct association between PTPN22 C1858 polymorphism and RA patients from Western India. Still a larger study is needed to understand whether this polymorphism predisposes individual to disease-associated antibodies among Indian RA patients.


[PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed905    
    Printed24    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded113    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 5    

Recommend this journal